View Full Version : Spanish Music

sktngmom
09-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Does anyone know of any spanish music that would be good for skating? My 16 year old daughter would like to skate to something spanish for her Intermediate short and I don't know where to start to find appropriate music. Most of her programs so far have been from movie sound tracks. They were easy to find, but spanish seems to be more difficult. Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

JDC1
09-11-2003, 08:01 AM
I think a good place to start would be with Guitar Music, someone like Christopher Parkening. Also do you have a decent classical music store near you, if so maybe try them for some suggestions and see if they'll play some music for you. Yo-Yo Ma just did a Brazilian music CD, no it's not Spanish but it might have the flavor or tone your daughter is looking for. I haven't bought it yet but it might be worth checking out. One of my favorite opera pieces is "Granada" it's wonderful and upbeat maybe you can edit out the words enough to get a program out of it or find just the music. Good luck, there's so much unexplored music out there if you don't already do so you might want to listen to the classical stations with your daughter when you drive her to the rink and see if anything piques your fancy.

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Why not do a Google search for "Flamenco music", and see if there's a site that gives examples, so that you and she know where to start looking. Or your local record shop might have a Flamenco section.

skaternum
09-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Please, please, please, for the love of Pete, do not use Malaguena! I'm begging you! It is the most overused Spanish music known to man and has been known to induce vomitting. ;) Also on skaternum's list of Spanish music to avoid:

Anything "spanish" Tchaikovsky ever wrote (!)
Spanish music from Riverdance

On behalf of coaches, judges, and skaters everywhere, thank you. :)

blurrysarah
09-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Whatever music you choose, make sure it is definitely Spanish. Last competition I saw someone competing with a Spanish theme, you know, the red and black flamenco dress and all that. Except the music sounded distinctly Brazilian, it was very strange indeed.

dbny
09-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Pablo de Sarasate composed wonderful variations on Carmen. My daughter picked a 1 1/2 minute passage that was rarely used, and most people didn't even know it was from Carmen. He also composed many short violin pieces that lend themselves well to skating and dance. Look for a CD of Sarasate played by Aaron Rosand. It's divine and you will certainly find something on it.

AshBugg44
09-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Malaguena is nice music though. So is Carmen.

sktngmom
09-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your suggestions.

CanAmSk8ter
09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
You could try Ottmar Liebert too. My best friend used one of his flamenco pieces for pre-juv. It's definitely skateable.

BringontheRain
09-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I have skated to Spanish / Latin music many times. Currently my friend has the CD's though, but once I get them back, I will tell you the names. It's awesome music, and I have loved skating to it :)

Edited to add ... some music I have used is

Luis Cobos
Vanessa Mae
! Viva La Guitarra ! by Vehkavaara & Simone