View Full Version : parabolic

skatepixie
09-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Does any one know enough to form an opinion about Parabolic blades?

Lutzgirl
09-14-2003, 05:22 PM
No offence towards you but this site is called skating forums not confusing skating forums!:)
Mybe you should write posts that people actually like rather than ones none will reply too !!!!!!!

Roseline
09-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Hmmm. That seemed a unnecessairly harsh response to me. It seems to me that skatepixie was looking more for an answer to her question than to entertain you, Lutzgirl, or anyone else on this board.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about these blades you bring up, skatepixie. Perhaps you could give us a little background info?

Elsy2
09-14-2003, 05:36 PM
This is a perfectly reasonable question, but I'm thinking these blades are so new that few will be able to give any feedback on them.
Parabolic blades are tapered to the midpoint of the blade (I think that's what the info said...) Read about them on the John Wilson site at http://www.johnwilsonskates.com/

icedancer2
09-14-2003, 05:46 PM
I saw a post about these blades on another forum. It seemed that the one person who has tried them found that the blades kind of "tweaked" her edges in a way that she didn't like.

I don't really understand the blade, except that it is similar to some blades that speed skaters wear -- must be that they get more speed out of them.

I find the differences in blades to be pretty significant. I wish there was a way you could just try out a blade -- but to spend a lot of money on something and then not be able to skate on it...

I hope someone who has tried these blades responds to this post. It is a good one. Thanks for posting, as I had been wondering about those blades myself.

96.23??
09-14-2003, 08:25 PM
That was pretty harsh lutzgirl. The question was perfectly reasonable it's just like asking, does anyone have corn. ace blades?

SDFanatic
09-14-2003, 09:38 PM
I have Coronation Ace blades, but only have about 5 hours of ice time on them so far.

As for parabolic blades, thats exactly how they are, thinner in the middle and wide on the ends. I'm thinking the thin middle would give you more speed, while the wider portions would help in doing edge moves and jumps.

Steven

dbny
09-14-2003, 09:57 PM
All I know about them is that they are based on the same principle as the latest skis, which seem to have revolutionized recreational and competitive skiing. The parabolic shape is supposed to almost create the edge for you, at least that's what skier friends have told me.

flippet
09-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
No offence towards you but this site is called skating forums not confusing skating forums!:)
Mybe you should write posts that people actually like rather than ones none will reply too !!!!!!!

Lutzgirl, there's no need to be rude. If the question is confusing to you, ask for clarification, don't insult the poster. Also, take into consideration that others may know something about these blades even if you don't know anything about them. Just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense to other people.

If you continue posting rudely (since you've done so before), you're on the fast track to being banned. Let's not go there, ok?

~flippet

blurrysarah
09-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Lutzgirl - Can you be any more close-minded? "Hur hur, I don't know what it is, therefore it must suck!". I'm sure anyone in the market for new blades would have visited the two manufacturers sites, and can't help but be curious about this new design.

Back to the scheduled program....I personally think these blades are another k-pick like fad. People seem to be doing alright on traditional blades, parabolic and k-pick designs appear to just be an expensive substitute for technique. A really difficult to sharpen substitute at that, I'd imagine.

dooobedooo
09-15-2003, 01:03 AM
They are very new, but Wilson seem to be offering alternative parabolic versions in all their blades now.

Instead of having straight edges from toe to heel, they are waisted in the middle and wider at the ends. Obviously the difference is miniscule, across a typical blade width of approx 1/8 inch.

I think they must be inspired by parabolic ("carving") skis, which have been around for several years now. The old fashion in recreational skiing, twenty years ago when I started, was for quite straight-sided, very long, fast running skis, inspired by downhill racing skis; so they were great for going in a straight line, but hard to turn, and had to be "jumped" to turn. Also many beginner and intermediate skiers were seriously over-powered and quite dangerous on these skis, and never learned to turn properly. Then shorter parabolic ("carving") skis (inspired by snowboarding developments) became the general standard for recreational skiing, waisted in the middle and much easier to turn.

However, if you think about it, the geometry of skiis and skates is quite different. Skis are flexible, the base lifts of the ground in the middle of the ski, and you keep the whole of the ski base on the ground when you are skiing. So part of the technique of skiing is to learn how to put pressure onto the centre and edges of thee ski, so that the entire length of the waisted ski naturally flexes into an arc and hugs the edge as you bank round, with about 4 to 5 feet in contact with the ground at any one time.

However, skates are quite different; they are made of solid metal, inflexible, the rocker is closer to the ground in the middle and lifts at the ends, and you only have a maximum of a couple of inches in contact with the ground at any one time.

So logically, I do not see the possible benefits to parabolic skates and am not attracted to trying them.

However, I too would be very interested in any reports from anybody who has actually invested in a pair and tried them out (and also reports on whether they were able to sharpen them successfully!!)

luna_skater
01-31-2004, 07:42 PM
I just wanted to bump this up since it's been a while since this topic was started, to see if anyone has heard anything new about the parabolic blades.

skatepixie
02-01-2004, 02:38 AM
I ordered regular cor ace. I havent heard of anyone who has used the new kind, and Im not willing to be the 1st to try it. I dont want to go there...I bet everyone else is thinking the same thing, though.