View Full Version : GROOVY or GRIM lessons & practiose 8 - 14 Sept

melanieuk
09-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Where this week's lesson thread gone?
I'm still off-ice but went to watch today.

GROOVY
Everyone's looking good.
One friend's got his 2axel - it's a stotter, though not consistent yet. Almost landing 3toe aswell.
Another friend's spins are coming on a treat.
Scotland's best dance couple are also looking sharp after their experience at Oberstdorf - 7th in OD, 2nd in the OD and 3rd in the Free, bringing them to an overall 4th. Well done to them. Of course the judging there wasn't biased in anyway. I wonder how long it'll take the judges to work out how to keep the placements from varying?
http://www.isufs.org/events/nt03/seg009.htm

GRIM
I still don't get the urge to skate, although the backspin intrigues me.
I know that I can get my "fix" of skating by simply turning up there, and not putting on my boots. I can speak to and watch the skaters, see my coach, enjoy the freezing skin-preserving atmosphere, and don't have to have sore feet, frustration at backspins and fear of axels.

I'm missing the Paisley Open next weekend - have to do other things instead. :(
Hope everyone's skating well....
mel

singerskates
09-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Hi Mel, How can you just watch and not do? I feel it's torture to just watch and not do. This summer not figure skating was hard. Yes, I did go a few times and skate on public ice but things were very limited.

Yesterdays first day back was both Groovey and Grim. You'll see why. Test for everyone to see what you think is groovey and what is grim. LOL Not really.

Mary, you're not the only one back on the ice again. I just got back
on yesterday (Tuesday Sept. 9th, 2003). I'm the highest level skater
on the Junior ice. My new coach and club has me prepping for an axel
even though the prelim test doesn't need one. My freeskate is going
to be choreographed by my coach's brother who does choreographing for
competitive level ice dancers. So, my plans for my FS are out the
window. I have to start fresh.

So far this new coach of mine, Coleen Matheson(sp), has me skating
better than I was last year and I've only had one lesson with her so
far. I can see it was wise of me to sign up for stroking class on top
of FS. Boy do my Left forward and back crosscuts need work. Coleen
kept talking about this V thing over and over. I'm starting to get
it. Did some nice waltz jumps but if I were to be landing an axel, I
would have been a zamboni because I was landing on the center of my
blade instead of first on my toe pick. I also need to get checking harder and stop looking out of the circle when landing to get the axel.

During my lesson I couldn't spin worth beans. But then when I was
just running through my program (last year's version), I was doing just fine. Maybe it's new coach nerves or more likely, it was because I was still frozen from my top teeth to my eyes including my nose from having my front teeth repaired at the dentist. For the first hour and a half, I still felt the freezing up to my eyebrowses. My dentist told me it would only take an hour and a half for the freezing to wear off. Yeah, right! I had the freezing shot at 2:30 pm and it didn't wear off until just after 10 pm. Certainly not an hour and half. ROTFLOL Try skating like that.

Club Tecumseh has to be the best club I've ever been at. All the
coaches like me and even better, they are all looking out for me on
and off of the ice. Anybody heard of Vern Taylor? He's one of the
coaches there. Anyway, it was Monday and I happened to be at the rink
to pick up my ticket ice cards. He stopped to ask me how I was doing.
I wasn't even skating that day! At this club, adult or not, you
mention competition, or better yet, Canadians and they take you
seriously. Skating is a serious thing here. Now I know I'll have my
prelim passed for sure before the Adult Canadians deadline. I just have to get those sponsors.

Talking about sponsors, I left a note with my manager at work about how it would be great if Sobeys sponsored me. Wonder, if she'll get it going. I also have my ticket ice day arranged for every Wednesday
with work. I'll be getting off from work at no later than 1:30 pm
every Wednesday so I can skate my ticket ice at 2 pm to 3:10.

If anyone here would like to skate on my ticket ice, follow the
directions from Arenamaps at http://www.arenamaps.com/cgi-bin/arena-
maps/view_arena.pl?position=0&arena_name=Tecumseh+Arena&city=Tecumseh&state=&zip=&country
=&id=1494&sport=0 You may have to copy and past to get the link to
work. or go to http://www.arenamaps.com and do a search for Tecumseh
Arena in Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada. This is where I skate now.

Brigitte

JDC1
09-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Groovy - having a male partner(coach) in ice dance!! Realizing I can skate really fast AND do the pattern just have to get the guts up while skating without coach.

Grim - my back and legs, pushing hard for speed and power HURTS!! Dancing wears me out more than free style ever did, but atleast my joints don't hurt, just virtually ever muscle in my body. Cross rolls KILL your abs!!

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by JDC1
Cross rolls KILL your abs!! AND your back. You wait until you are doing lap after lap of them - in Foxtrot hold! Which is what Robert and I were doing last night, as the section where we do them is one of the weakest sections in our Tango OD, and we need to practice and practice it. But - big discovery - if you both have really, really, really bent knees, it's much, much, MUCH easier! We knew that in theory, but when we put it into practice.....

So that was last night's "Groovy". No real grim, except when we forget the steps, or get them wrong. There's one bit I always get wrong, and I choreographed the thing!

This morning, his Lordship decided not to skate, so I had a lie-in and didn't have to stir until 6.45, which was very groovy indeed.

We had a circular yesterday from the organisers of the Mountain Cup announcing that there will be a pre-Bronze Figures category, and that we will be required to compete LFO/RFO circles, LFI/RFI circles and the FOI/IO serpentine. So in my lesson we worked first of all on back inside and outside edges, then on changes of edge, and then on figures.

Grim: I still have far less flow than I want going backwards, it's really annoying. Coach says the elite skaters, and the ones who are sub-elite but his top pupils so far are all far more body-conscious than me, and know exactly where their balance is, so they get the flow I crave. I had to do speedwork backwards, which terrifies me, but I did it!

As for the figures - well, I'm out of practice and it shows! Couldn't get round a whole circle, simply wasn't able to push properly. It'll come, he reckons - and there's oceans of time before we need to decide whether or not to enter.

He hadn't cut the music for my Creative programme yet, but that's okay, there's loads of time for that, too.

After my lesson, I decided to reverse an exercise I sometimes have to do, which is crossovers/runs round the circle and then hold the edge as far round as I can, or else spiral it in. So I tried this going backwards, and I did get some flow. Except my clockwise back crossovers - oh dear.....

CanAmSk8ter
09-10-2003, 05:19 PM
GROOVY: Lesson yesterday morning was "excellent- not just good, excellent!" Those are my coach's words, not mine! We partnered the Blues, and I got through the whole dance, including the Choctaw, with no mistakes- and that's maybe the third or fourth time we've partnered that dance! He's still adamant that my Blues is close to testable. Too bad I have to get through the American and the Tango first! But my American was good yesterday too- we're looking at testing that in October or hopefully November/December if the club gets a test session together- and we made some progress on the Kilian, which scares me to death. I know it's an easy dance, but it's not easy if you can barely do the %^*(^&*) choctaw. I had some help on it from another coach in Lake Placid, and it's coming, but I'm still afraid to do it at speed and that's what my coach was pushing for yesterday. It's coming along, though.

Also groovy- I'm up to doing two sessions in a row in the afternoons! I know it doesn't sound like much, but I have a very short attention span and anything longer than an hour is impressive for me, but I'm doing ninety minutes now. After I do my forty-five minute practice in the morning, I get to school early and write out notes about what I need to work on and how long to work on each dance in the afternoon based on how I skated and what I had trouble with in the morning. I don't make myself do more than fifteen minutes on any one dance unless I'm really having fun with it and want to continue. It's helping so much. I can't believe I'm doing ninety-minute practices and staying focused the entire time.

GRIM: Nothing so far this week! I have Adult CHAMPS this weekend- hopefully the rink dimensions and landmarks won't be drastically different than at home. If they are, I'll probably run into the wall at some point. I could really use another week or two on the American before competing. Oh well. Just have to bite the bullet and say a quick Hail Tarasova before I skate. (I stole the Hail Tarasova idea from someone at FSU boards).

wannask8
09-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
This morning, his Lordship decided not to skate, so I had a lie-in and didn't have to stir until 6.45, which was very groovy indeed.

(I just have to chuckle that you consider 6:45 a lie-in -- I am surely an utter sloth in comparison!)

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by wannask8
(I just have to chuckle that you consider 6:45 a lie-in -- I am surely an utter sloth in comparison!)

-- wannask8 Well, normally I'm up at 5.30 on work mornings, and anywhere between 5.45 and 6.15 on skating mornings, so 6.45 is bliss.... probably have it again tomorrow, shouldn't wonder!

JDC1
09-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Yes Mrs. Redboots and your back, I had an ice pack on my lower and upper back all last night while reading and watching tv. :-)

CanAMSkater - I hear you, I recently began skipping Saturdays and doing two sessions on Sunday and I feel like I deserve a medal!! Nevermind most of the people stay for all 3!!

quarkiki2
09-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Practice and Synchro last night

Groovy: Synchro! We're starting the number with a fun footwork/kickline sequence. I can't quite do all of it yet, but I'll get there with practice. I thank the powers that be that I can understand choreography and patterns -- if I couldn't, synchro would be torturous! Had to keep reassuring my "partner" that we were in the right place and had done everything correctly.

Our choreographer is really stepping up the difficulty from last year's routines. More intricate patterns, crossovers instead of pumping, etc. This is good because my crossovers surely need practice!

Also groovy: I'm forcing myself to lean on my spirals. Not, too much, mind you, but there is a definitely lean (in my preception). Practiced L pivot, R arabesque, R spiral, R pivot, L arabesque, L spiral. Looks pretty!

Half-flip is getting better, I think -- I can approach it with more speed, anyway. Still no jump but I am stepping aroud each time. Maybe I'll jump soon?

In between groovy and grim: Back edges. I really need to slow down the inside edges and I need way more power on the outside. Practiced the back T-push many times. I completely understand what I'm supposed to do, but somehow, cannot make my body comply. Grrr!!!

Grim: Waltz jump. Due to fear. I have a lovely jump off ice, but it reeks on the ice. Four step mohawk prep is getting better, though! I practice that on both feet because mohawks can always use practice.

Grimmer: Still no sight of 3 turns. Strangely, my LFI is closest -- I'm barely touching down on that one.

jazzpants
09-11-2003, 12:29 PM
GRIM: REALLY running behind today! I was stuck on the mess on the freeway going towards downtown SF (where the rink is...) and it's a nightmare at 7:30am. Can't seemed to get up early enough for that session. I got on the ice just before my lesson started. :oops:

GROOVY: Well, not sure if this is a groovy or not, but...like it or not, I have to learn to do a back pivot into a backspin! It's the beginning of my new program!!! :D Primary coach says "it may not be fast and you only get one rev., but your backspin is at least on the correct edge now!" Thanks... I think... :P Anyway, it's a keeper and that's going in my program! (Actually, there's more than just a back pivot to a backspin...)

garyc254
09-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
Grim: Waltz jump. Due to fear. I have a lovely jump off ice, but it reeks on the ice.

The Waltz jump is my grim for the week.

Last Saturday during a class, I landed one stiff legged. OUCH!!! My right knee has been in pain ever since. Then on Monday, I foolishly tried to do one off-ice (on the concrete driveway wearing my tennis shoes). Twisted my left knee on pushoff.

Now I'm limping on both sides. 8O :oops: :??

I was changing the brake pads on my girlfriend's van on Sunday and twisted my lower back. :roll:

Ibuprofin for breakfast, lunch, and supper. :roll: :lol:

I think I'll take it easy during class this Saturday. :roll:

Terri C
09-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Groovy:
Coach has started me back on the loop/flip bandwagon, with the possibility of starting me on lutz!
Spins were hot today!!:)

Grim:
The attendance at the afternoon freestyles is worse that I thought it would be. Parents are wondering,as I am if it's worth it to buy another $200.00 ( 20 hours of freestyle) punch card!
:(

It doesn't help when the Sunday evening freestyle was "forgotten" to be put in the ice book, and the person responsible for opening the rink this morning was late!:evil:

dbny
09-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Grim
I've hardly skated all summer since my coach went on maternity leave. Yesterday I taught Mommy & Me, and attempted to skate on the dead ice afterwards. Maybe it was just that holding up a bunch of 2 to 3 year olds for an hour wore me out, but it was a complete disaster. I left the ice after about 15 minutes feeling like I should just give up. Still felt that way today before my first post-leave lesson (thank goodness my coach is back!). Three turns were barely there, LFI Mohawk was gone, got only one decent spin and not from a wind up, felt generally fat, stiff, scared and old.

Groovy
I LOVE my coach! As usual, she worked her magic, and after my lesson, I felt like a skater again. All we worked on were the prelim crossover patterns and the prelim spiral pattern, but afterwards, I had so much more confidence. I did the juv cross stroke pattern, and got applause from my coach's current student, who was waiting for me to go by at the end of the pattern. Finished the session with F power crossovers in good speed and proper pattern placement.

TashaKat
09-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Hi Mel :) How are you? Nice to see you back :D

I'm still off (cracked ribs from horse riding) and I 'was' going to start back on patch in September ..... wonder if I'd have gone!

I'm like you, like the idea but don't have the will at the moment .... wonder how 'you' can go from obsessed (ok, addicted!) to not doing!! Answers on a postcard ;)

Hi to everyone, hope you're all ok too :D

HOPEFULLY have something to report before I cark it!

x

quarkiki2
09-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by garyc254
Now I'm limping on both sides. 8O :oops: :??

I was changing the brake pads on my girlfriend's van on Sunday and twisted my lower back. :roll:

Ibuprofin for breakfast, lunch, and supper. :roll: :lol:

I think I'll take it easy during class this Saturday. :roll: [/B]

Gary! :roll:

Please eat some food with the ibuprofen or you'll be writing next about your bleeding stomach! :twisted:

batikat
09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Well having barely skated all summer I think I've overdosed this week having skated every day and had an unexpected extra lesson.
I did the 'Annies Edges' class on Monday which was fun as the coach decided we should try out the sequence he had dreamed (literally) the previous night!

Tuesday I had a lesson - more practise of my OD with lots of tidying up and trying to add in more arm movements.

Wednesday - My first time on a Wednesday for a year as I used to be in college on Wednesdays. Did the group dance class learning parts of the Tango and then a friend decided she really didn't want her lesson (she has the same coach)as she wasnt' feeling well so I volunteered to take it! I didnt' take a lot of persuading... Ran through The Golden Skaters Waltz and Canasta Tango to practice the starts in preparation for teh Compulsory Dance part of the British Adult Championships in Sheffield in a couple of week - the lowest class but it still sounds good!

I took the lesson as I thought I'd miss out on my usual Thursday one as I had a meeting to go to but in the end my coach found he had time on the patch session before the morning public session so I had my third lesson of the week. More work on the OD!

Friday I went in to go to the 'jumps'& 'spins' class. Nearly got the hang of a back spin - the most helpful tip I had was to remember to lead with the left shoulder - I'm not even sure what it meant but just thinking that as I entered the spin seemed to help:D
Still can't get the hang of a Loop though:(
Afterwards did a few more run throughs of my OD.

In typical fashion I seem to be a 'Dancer who looks like a Free skater' (or so I am often told and presume it means I am lacking in the grace, elegance and smooth flow a dancer should have)or alternatively I am a Free skater who can't jump - it's very sad
:(

I compensate by putting little jumps in my dances which makes them more fun. I have what are more or less star jumps in my OD plus a double-drag (lunge) where I do a little jump in the middle in which both feet leave the ice while still in drag position. Guess my march is going to look more like an Aerobics lesson but as my coach says - the judges may not like it but I think they'll remember it!!!!

OOps sorry this is rather long - but then I have done a lot of skating this week!

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Again had an hour's practice at the teatime patch, this time before dance club. Practice went well, and we were able to have at least one superb run-through of our OD. Main trouble is, the easy bits are really fast now, and the harder bits - aren't. Oh well....

Dance Club was fun; we worked hard on our Swing Dance every time one was played, and then did a Riverside Rhumba to music which was much, much better than I expected it to be! I didn't dance much as I was tired by then, but we did a fantastic Dutch Waltz. I also did a 10-step with the only other man present, which was fun.

But today I have a cold and feel dreadful; no way could I skate, and I doubt I will be able to tomorrow, either. And I really don't want to miss a day's training at this stage.....

Black Sheep
09-12-2003, 06:11 PM
First the GRIM:

On Wednesday morning, I pulled my head/neck kinda funny while having my lesson, and it made me really dizzy! When I sat down in the hockey box, my coach tried to coax me to keep going, but I said, "I can't--the room won't stop spinning." So he tried to go find me some medicine in his car. When he came back with his first aid kit, I was taking off my skates. My head hurt so much, there was no way we were going to finish the lesson that day. He gave me some aspirin do that I could at least survive the drive home.

Now the GROOVY:

I took the entire day off yesterday, just loafing around in front of the TV and playing games on my PC (except when I had to go to the bank). I tried skating this morning, and felt at least 100% better! So I called my coach and arranged to make up our lesson tomorrow morning--Saturday. Hope we can both get on....

8-)

plinko
09-12-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm a casual rec skater.

Groovy: It's been so warm out that the rink isn't busy, four people today. I also found my RFO edge and practiced 3 turns right in the middle of this empty rink. I hadn't tried one in 15 years, they were ok but really curvy on the exit. A friend landed a lovely triple lutz.

Grim: I've finally decided to get my boots punched out on my bunion so they're at the shop and I miss them.

luna_skater
09-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Groovy!: Started dance lessons again! Learned the Rocker, American, and Keats today. I love the Rocker so far, like the Keats too, and the American aka Mutation of the European, well....maybe it will grow on me. Not sure if coach has plans for me to learn the Harris as well, or wait until after I test the other three. I guess it depends on how quickly these three come together, and when test day is!

Grim: As usual, forgot most of the steps to the dances as soon as the lesson ended. But I have the patterns at home, and I have a week to get them down. I worked on pieces of each dance, and a lot on the rocker and open mohawk. Three turns in the American are sort of awkward, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of them. I'm on a free-style session, which is not ideal, but the ice is cheap so I'll just have to suck it up!

singerskates
09-12-2003, 11:57 PM
MOstly Groovin'

I found out that all these years I was picking with my free leg wrong. No wonder, I was hurting myself all these years. Colleen busted me for picking in wrong. I was placing my free leg into the ice with my toe pointing inward instead of outward and I was not bending my skating leg enough and not drawing my skating leg to my picking/free leg. Oh, what a difference. My toe loop is a happening jump again but better than ever before.

Also, my Samba Pa Ti freeskate is getting scrapped totally. Now I have to get my computer fixed and search for faster stuff to which to skate. I found Samba Pa Ti fast but I guess Silver isn't enough for Club Tecumseh. They want Gold.

Also found out that I was taking way to long to snap into my spins. Colleen wants me as soon as I hit my left outside edge to lean more left right away to hook the spin. I was taking too long to get the spin started. Not there yet but I can see it will come soon. speaking of almost, I was mostly jumping into toe loops and loops but one time forgot to jump and got a nice 1 and half revs on my backspin before I got out.

Oh, I almost did an old Jennifer Robinson. That is I almost hit the boards jumping. But it wasn't that I waited until I was practically on top of the boards, but that I did 7 jumps in a row/combo and the last one was super sloppy and got me very close to the boards. I was just a bit dizzy after that 7th jump in my combo. ROTFLOL

I was put into the fastest and more advanced stroking group. Stroking at Club Tecumseh is not just stroking but footwork, turns, presentation and moves. I was doing ok until we got to this pattern that had RFO3 and LFI3. It's weird, I can do the RFO3's when I a double RBI3 but any other way. No way. Plus, my LBx are horrible compared to my RBx which are smooth and powerful. Lots of work needed in everything left handed/clockwise.

Well, I'm just a little tired. Did work till 2pm, came home, did email, went to the rink and did stroking (see above) and then freeskating, then threw McD's down my throat, then 2 hours Youth Group, drove kids home and then watched movie with hubby and then came on the internet. I'm just a bit toasted now.

Nighty, night.

Brigitte

SDFanatic
09-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Groovy: Skated the three available public sessions this week to break in my new boots, seems as if I have a ways to go yet in that department! All the practices when well, I thought I would have a learning curve with the new boots, but was surprised that they felt pretty much the same as my old boots. I can hold a backwards edge straight a lot better and longer then before, and I'm not falling to my inside edge as often as I used to. I start with my new coach next week and I can't wait! And I finally have something purple to wear again! (even though it looks a bit blue in the picture, lol)

http://www.skatekilt.com/sk/steven113.jpg

Grim: Looks like I have a ways to go yet before these boots are broken in! And would be great when they stop hurting!

Steven

wannask8
09-13-2003, 06:34 PM
This is for yesterday, actually.

Groovy: Took hubby along with me to practice as he has a little time off from work before starting his new job, and after he helped me a bit while I was trying back crossovers (which coach just showed me how to do last session), we had the idea to try stroking around the rink in a dance hold. Completely incorrect, I'm sure, and probably most ungainly to the casual viewer, but it was FUN! Maybe in five years after I've finally learned a three turn or choctaw we'll get into dance for real!

Grim: I can just tell that those back crossovers are going to take me forever to learn. I'm still not too comfortable with the forward ones, for that matter. Meanwhile, hubby, who has been to the rink a number of times with me this summer, took his first lesson last week (in hockey skates, no less) and can already do everything I've ever learned, boo. I can only console myself that he played a little hockey as a kid . . ..

singerskates
09-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Friday Sept. 12th:
Groovy:
Got my toe loop going higher and better. Just was picking in wrong before. My first coach didn't even teach me freeskating and my second was well, not so picky about things and didn't catch on that I was picking in wrong. No wonder I had pain in my left foot with picking in before. Now I pick in with my left toe pointing left when it's behind my right skate as I draw my right side toward the left and spring upward to jump. It's made the toe loop so easy to do.

I'm wondering, how do you point your toe when picking in for the flip? I'm wondering if I'm doing it right or wrong. Maybe that's partly why I'm not getting a full rev on the flip?

Grim: freeskate music from last year, too slow as stated by new coach. Need new music.

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Wannask8: if you can do crossovers, and if you can hold a forward outside edge for 4 beats, you are ready to learn dance - you don't need to go backwards for the first several dances, so you needn't worry about turning. Truly - you could start tomorrow!

Well, today was pretty grim: I felt well enough to get up and go skating, to find I was very far from the only one thus afflicted, obviously "it" is doing the rounds. Which meant that nobody was skating very well today, and there were a few tumbles. And someone's skirt fell off, just to add to the fun.....

I honestly thought I wouldn't make my lesson, since Robert's and my first run-through of the Swing Dance was disastrous. Haven't skated it so badly in years. So got off the ice and sat and watched his lesson, only getting up in time to make myself comfortable before our couples lesson. Told coach was feeling awful, and he said to do what I could.

So we started with the Riverside Rhumba - not too bad, but our timing is out. So what else is new?

Then we ran through our OD, and that was about the only Groovy aspect of the morning, as it was one of the best ever, and the best the coach had seen - I just hope we haven't peaked, as there are still 2 weeks to go before the championships!

Then we did the Swing Dance, and that was as dire as usual. And working on the end pattern, I actually knocked Robert over (revenge for all the times he's taken me out in the Fiesta Tango!) - he wasn't best pleased as his shirt rode up and his naked back met the ice.... I apologised, but I also got the giggles.....

CanAmSk8ter
09-14-2003, 03:45 PM
GROOVY: Just got back from competiton where I placed first in both footwork and compulsory dance.

GRIM: Am absolutely exhausted and don't even want to think about skating tomorrow. Actually, I'm looking forward to skating, I just don't want to think about actually working on the ice- or going to school. But with another competition in less than two weeks, I have a feeling I'll persuade myself to go.

Debbie S
09-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!! :)

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
GROOVY: Just got back from competiton where I placed first in both footwork and compulsory dance. Very well done! Which dance or dances, and was it solo or did you have a partner?

quarkiki2
09-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Congrats to CanAmSk8ter!

wannask8 -- I understand TOTALLY about your husband getting everything faster, so did mine while we were taking lessons together. He was just less afraid than I am. He took the most awful thumping falls and didn't seem to mind, whearas I'm so conservative I haven't fallen in a year.

Groovy: My four-step mohawk prep for the waltz jump is looking beautiful!

but...

Grim: There is no waltz jump. Nor a half-flip. I'm a chicken. Brawk, brawk, brawk... or in my case balk, balk, balk.

sk8pics
09-15-2003, 11:26 AM

Groovy: My four-step mohawk prep for the waltz jump is looking beautiful!

but...

Grim: There is no waltz jump. Nor a half-flip. I'm a chicken. Brawk, brawk, brawk... or in my case balk, balk, balk.

Quarkiki2, I've been meaning to ask... what do you mean by "four-step mohawk?" Hang in there and you'll get over your fear of jumping. It took me a long time, and I regressed once after having it, but now I love doing waltz jumps anywhere on the ice. It was a matter of repetitions for me, and seeing that I really could land and hold the landing even if it wasn't the best jump.

Pat

quarkiki2
09-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Four step mohawk: RFI to LBI step onto RBO to LFO to waltz jump

Thanks for the encouragement!

garyc254
09-15-2003, 04:37 PM

I call mine the waltz step and the half-step. :lol:

Same fear here!!!!

garyc254
09-15-2003, 04:41 PM
GRIM: I learned that I cannot as yet do a Rocker. There was a dent in the ice on Saturday to prove it. Fortunately, I fell on my wallet, so nothing broke, however the shock of the feet-above-the-head fall jarred every muscle in my body.

Ah, the wonders of ibuprofin in massive quantities. :roll:

GROOVY: I did kind of do a Choctaw though.

dbny
09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Congratulations, CanAmSk8ter!

Originally posted by garyc254
GRIM: I learned that I cannot as yet do a Rocker. There was a dent in the ice on Saturday to prove it. Fortunately, I fell on my wallet, so nothing broke, however the shock of the feet-above-the-head fall jarred every muscle in my body.

Ah, the wonders of ibuprofin in massive quantities. :roll:

GROOVY: I did kind of do a Choctaw though.

8O Yikes, Gary, be careful! I used to do all the one foot turns on roller skates, and can do a very nice FI bracket/BO three sequence at the boards, but I really don't enjoy that feet-above-the-head fall or the straight-down onto-my-hip fall either, not to mention the straight-down-onto-my hand-broken-wrist fall.

CanAmSk8ter
09-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Very well done! Which dance or dances, and was it solo or did you have a partner?

Level 6 Solo- American Waltz (my favorite- NOT! I can't wait to pass that one. Keeping my fingers crossed for October).

garyc254
09-15-2003, 10:03 PM
GROOVY: Just got back from competiton where I placed first in both footwork and compulsory dance.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :bow: :bow: :bow:

luna_skater
09-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Level 6 Solo- American Waltz (my favorite- NOT! I can't wait to pass that one. Keeping my fingers crossed for October).

ICK! I just started the American and I don't like it either. It's not so much the awkwardness of it, as it is the boring factor. Can't wait till I'm through with that one!

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2003, 06:49 AM
I can't do the American yet, but my husband is at the stage of playing with it at Dance Club. Last week I seriously wondered how many goals he was going to score - you would have thought he was playing football out there (aren't I mean!!! :twisted: :evil: )