View Full Version : Seeding questions

BABYSKATES
09-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Help! I can't find my rule book but I want to know how seeding at regionals is done. I'm especially interested in how (and if) the juvenile level is seeded.

Thanks!

Elsy2
09-10-2003, 07:54 AM
I don't have this year's rulebook yet....but CR12.93 says "(Competitors in juvenile events shall not be seeded.)" pg.43 of the 2003 rulebook.

mary
09-10-2003, 10:14 AM
I have a silly question. Could you explain what "seeded" means. Thanks:oops:

BABYSKATES
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks Elsy2!

Mary, seeded means selectively arranged to give the best chance for the most skilled kids to make it to the final round. When things are done purely by draw, there is the risk that the majority of the toughest competitors will end up in the same qualifying group and "cancel" each other out.

pennskater
09-10-2003, 01:50 PM
I thought that any prior year Juveniles were seeded based on whether they made it to final round or not the year before. Anyone who does not go to final round gets a '99' seed. Anyone going to final round gets the number of their result (up to 18 skaters).
That way, prior year juveniles are spread to the various qualifying groups, to make it more equal in each group.

mary
09-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by BABYSKATES
Thanks Elsy2!

Mary, seeded means selectively arranged to give the best chance for the most skilled kids to make it to the final round. When things are done purely by draw, there is the risk that the majority of the toughest competitors will end up in the same qualifying group and "cancel" each other out.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thank you:)

texasdancer
09-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know if the kids who went to jr. nats as juveniles last year get seeded as intermediates at regionals this year?

BABYSKATES
09-11-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by texasdancer
Does anyone know if the kids who went to jr. nats as juveniles last year get seeded as intermediates at regionals this year?

The information I got on that is yes, they do.