View Full Version : Canasta Tango

JDC1
09-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Okay, I'm not that good at reading the dance charts and I just got taught some of the basics for the Canasta Tango. So I have a quick question - I recall part of what I was taught was a LProgressive/ then is it Left cross over or step - then cross roll? I recall the beginning as Progressive, chasse, step, slide..correct?

Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, after you have done whatever you do to get going (left, right, left, right, or equivalent), the steps are:

LFO
RFI progressive/run
RFI chasse
LFO swing
RFO
LFI slide chasse
RFO swing
LFO
RFI slide chasse
LFO
RFI progressive/run
LFO
RFO cross-roll swing

and restart.

I haven't put the beat values in because I can't think without the music. Almost all 2 beats, except the swing rolls which are 2 beats with the leg extended behind, then 2 beats with the leg extended forwards. And the runs and the first chasse are faster, but I can't think! The last two edges, you must hold the LFO for 2 beats, then the RFO cross-roll swing is 2 beats with the leg behind, and 2 with it extended in front (my coach has drummed that one into me as I rushed it so!).

Reverse Kilian hold; Tango music.

JDC1
09-09-2003, 10:46 AM
This was only my 2nd dance and when my temporary coach switched sides I was like "what?" and then he explained. I'm going to practice tonight with this chart!!

dani
09-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi! Welcome to dance!

It may not help you yet, but the timing is the only timing it can be if you listen to the music. Group the steps into "phrases" - for example the LOF, RIF pr, LOF, RIF ch takes up a phrase. Since there are 4 steps and it is a phrase they are all 1 beat. So going from Mrs. Redboots description, the breakdown is:

LFO
RFI progressive/run
LFO
RFI chasse

LFO swing

RFO
LFI slide chasse

RFO swing

LFO
RFI slide chasse

LFO
RFI progressive/run
LFO

RFO cross-roll swing

In general, if the phrase is push progress push (like the corner here) then you hold the 3rd step, so the timing is 1, 1, 2.

The reason why I am describing this as "technical" as I am is because if you can learn to recognize the phrasing, then learning the timing is easier and you can put your mental energy to something else like remembering the steps. If you ask most dancers the timing of a step, I bet they can't tell you without running through it in their heads because they just know it, they don't think it. I hope this makes sense!

Also, remember it is a tango, so be sharp. Almost try to be late for the steps if that makes sense (but of course don't). In other words, like Mrs. Redboots said, you keep your leg back for two beats and then you are in the swing position for 2 beats. If you think about that, then there is no time for you to move your leg, so you need to be that quick and short.

Oh, and your next tango will be reversed killian to, but with a fun twist, for part of it you switch to normal killian! DBNY will probably remember with me that in Roller this was called "Side B" ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Mrs. Redboots, I had a dream in which I ran into you working at some American company over here last week! And since I have seen your picture from Bill P's site, it was really you! ;-) What was up with that 3rd leg? ;-) If you are really adventurous, Bill has a picture of jenlyon, looploop, and me from DC last year!

BittyBug
09-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Building on Dani's comments, here's the timing:

LFO - 1
RFI progressive/run - 1
LFO - 1
RFI chasse - 1

LFO swing - 4

RFO - 2
LFI slide chasse - 2

RFO swing - 4

LFO - 2
RFI slide chasse - 2

LFO - 1
RFI progressive/run - 1
LFO - 2

RFO cross-roll swing - 4

dani
09-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks!! And to throw Annebell's back in, the swing rolls can be subdivided into two parts, the first 2 beats held behind and the next 2 in the forward position.

Hugs!
Danielle

JDC1
09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm goign to take this with me tonight and try and get the pattern down before my next lesson on Sunday. :-)

J

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dani
ps) Mrs. Redboots, I had a dream in which I ran into you working at some American company over here last week! And since I have seen your picture from Bill P's site, it was really you! ;-) What was up with that 3rd leg? ;-) If you are really adventurous, Bill has a picture of jenlyon, looploop, and me from DC last year! "I'm Jake the Peg, deedle-deedle-deedle-dee
With my extra leg deedle-deedle-deedle-dee"

That was fun, that was. Haven't got this year's piece up and running yet - music has been chosen but not yet cut, and I am already planning the costume and some of the steps. My coach hopes to have the piece cut for me by next week and I can start playing. Can't wait!

And yes, I've seen that picture of you guys....

Back to Tangos, though - Robert and I ran through the Canasta Tango last night when it happened to be playing "just for fun", and I can confirm that the edges on the run (progressive) are one beat each, then the edge after is 2 beats.

Don't forget - last night's Great Discovery - that the more you bend your knees, the more tango-ish you will be. And lots of extension, and turn your head staccato, rather than unobtrusively.