View Full Version : Ask any question, part 3

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Icenut84
Who are you hoping will win the next World championships in each discipline?

skatepixie
09-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Ladies-sasha
mens-alexei even though I doubt that it will happen.
pairs-someone other than s&z, P&t or a russian I hope.
dance-dont know dont care and dont want to care

Share a skating horror story.

sk8er1964
09-05-2003, 08:11 PM
I was 15 years old, and it was my last competition because I had decided to quit at the end of the season. I was at the Tri-States competition in Ohio. In my warm up, I fell on my double loop and somehow managed to end up sitting on the back end of my blade. It ripped my dress and cut open my, ahem, back end.

I was skating later in the flight, so my mom sewed up the dress, dried my tears, and I skated anyway. I think I finished 8th - not the way I wanted to end my competitive career :( . (At least, I thought it was the end at the time -- I never dreamed I'd be competing again as an adult!)

Do you prefer your ice to be softer or harder?

Stormy
09-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Harder. Soft ice annoys me, I can't get a good edge and it's distracting.

What's your favorite non jump or spin move? Mine are spirals. My coach said the other day I have a very good spiral and that's high praise from her!! :)

skatepixie
09-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Lunge. I have a very low lunge that looks like Sasha Cohens.

are you a jumper or a spinner? Im a jumper by far...

blurrysarah
09-06-2003, 02:51 AM
I'd choose spinner because there's nothing like hitting the sweet spot on the blade and getting a fast, controlled, centered spin. I'm fairly equal with both though.

Do you suffer from smelly skates? If so, how do you counteract the stench!?

Figureskates
09-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Mine do smell, and it is worse since I skate barefoot too.

I haven't found anything to counter the odor. My wife has banished them to the closet in the basement since she doesn't want them upstairs.

What blades do you use?

TashaKat
09-06-2003, 03:37 AM
Gold Seal for Free and MK Dance for, erm, Dance!

If you could have a career in skating (forget age, skill, finances etc) which area would you go into?

CanAmSk8ter
09-06-2003, 06:54 AM
Headlining for Tom Collins' tour! As it is, I plan to have a career in skating, but related to the media somehow. I'm also going to look into Disney On Ice for when I graduate, but I'm not sure yet if I'd really want to do that.

Have you ever skated under spotlights?

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2003, 08:59 AM
No. I think I've skated under disco lights before I started skating, if you see what I mean.....

Do you ache anywhere today? (I have a sore ankle, don't know why, and my knees did not like all those stairs at Central Hall, Westminster, where I have been at a conference)

dani
09-06-2003, 09:36 AM
YES!! I have a massive bruise on my right hip from trying a ROB bracket! My coach told me to get up and try again (a cool thing is that my fall was spectacular enough that Nicole Bobek asked me if I was ok ;-) and when I almost fell again he suggested maybe I should try it later ;-)

Have you had any injuries that you feared were really bad and turned out not to be as bad as you though? For example, I landed really hard on a rib and after trying to push it and skate, my breathing was labored and I was in serious pain. The next morning I woke up and was a little better then 2 days later I was miraculously better!.

Hugs!
Danielle

StarshineXavier
09-06-2003, 10:32 AM
I fell down the stairs last January the day before a test, and twisted my ankle. It hurt sooo incredibly bad during the day, but as soon as it became time to go skating, it miraculously felt better. I wasn't allowed to jump on my session that night (I land on my right foot). I bound my ankle really well, and skated. The next night, I passed my test too! It's a good thing it was not a freeskate test but a dance test, or I would have had to withdraw.

What's the worst injury you've skated with?

Black Sheep
09-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by StarshineXavier
What's the worst injury you've skated with?

Other than the knot I had in my back at Adult Nats. last spring, the worst injury I've skated with was a stress fracture I got on the outside of my left ankle (my landing foot!) in Summer 1995. I was off the ice for six weeks. Since then, I've used special stretching techniques (which I learned in physical therapy) for both my ankles every time I skate in order to prevent any more stress fractures. They've worked like a charm (knock wood)!

Which maneuevers do you practice off-ice (if any)? 8-)

TreSk8sAZ
09-06-2003, 12:50 PM
jumps, spins and edges on my spin trainer, and running through the patterns for all of my dances!

Other than your skates, what is the most essential thing you must bring to the rink every time you skate?

dancing_queen
09-06-2003, 01:19 PM
a water bottle!

-----------------------------

if you could steal any skates costume and wear it for a show or competion of your own whos dress would it be and from what progran did they skate with it on in?

icenut84
09-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Interesting question! I'd probably take Katia Gordeeva's dress from their "Reverie" exhibition at the 94 Olympics. It was beautiful - light blue, sleeveless, a knee-length slightly ragged skirt (and some small ragged bits on the shoulders), and a faint sparkle. It looked lovely.

How many ice surfaces does your rink (or main rink) have? And do you skate all of them at some point?

skateflo
09-06-2003, 04:23 PM
My main rink has an olympic pad for figure skating and the original hockey size for hockey most of the time. Sometimes during the year we get put downstairs (yuk!) when a hockey tournament is scheduled. To think that old surface is where I learned most of my skating!

Do you wear skirts, practice dresses or pants for practice and how many layers?

In the winter I have a wicking undershirt, turtle neck, lightweight pullover sweater, polarfleece pullover top and stockings, to the boot leggings, light fleece/poly smooth exterior stretch pants. Warm weather (summer) I wear stockings, to the boot leggings, skirt, light undershirt, turtleneck, polar fleece top (until I am warmed up - about 10-15 minutes.) My old rink in town before it was totally rebuilt, I used to love just wearing a teeshirt with a skirt - I felt so free! But the rinks around here are cold all year.

MissIndigo
09-06-2003, 04:33 PM
I wear a sweatshirt and pants usually, or sometimes a sweater and pants. I only break out the dresses on special occasions.

Of course, my seasonal dress varies too with my body's thermal sensors. In summer, I can wear one single layer (with underwear) and pants and tights and be fine. Gloves stay too. In winter, however, I must have my turtleneck and sweatshirt, and sometimes one of those fitted tank tops underneath with the built-in shelf bra to help keep me warm.

Okies...my question...what do you think, if you can think of something, is the most positive thing that the USFSA adult MITF test structure brings to the overall culture/philosophy of adult skating? I do like that it encourages us to further develop our power, but I am not keen on the inconsistency with its judging (probably from the test structure being so new).

Stormy
09-06-2003, 05:09 PM
I think it definitely encourages more power/edge quality/overall skating quality. It shows the USFSA is recognizing Adults more and more. Any thing that gives us recognition can't be bad. :)

What MITF test are you working on? I am on Intermediate, as well as preparing for Adult Pre Bronze, Bronze & Silver Moves.

sk8er1964
09-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Intermediate - testing later this month. This will be my second MIF test, with the first being Adult Gold. Hopefully I'll do better than I did with my figures tests as a kid 8O .

I am going to ask the same question - what MIF test are you working on?

blondeangl
09-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Im working on Pre-preliminary. I have everything but the waltz eight. I can do it once but not the neccasary 3 times! :x

What freestyle, pairs, or dance level are you working on?

skatepixie
09-06-2003, 06:51 PM
hmmmmm....i guess prepre. Im in basic, but not usfsa or isi basic, out rinks system....

what supposidly basic skill do you just hate? fir me its turning CW

SDFanatic
09-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Mohawks! I just can't get them down properly, I still play with them almost every session, hopefully I'll be able to acquire the skill to do them properly!

Have you ever attended and skate camps or clinics? (I did a stroking clinic this summer, and even though I was usually last, it was a hoot!)

Steven

Figureskates
09-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Spent a week in August at Lake Placid to attend adult skate week at the Olympic Center. This is my fourth year and I highly recommend it. Besides learning a lot there is a great comradiere among the adults who attend, about 90% of which return every year.

What jump do yo really detest?

skatepixie
09-06-2003, 10:00 PM
salchow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What spin do u hate?

jazzpants
09-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Oh, that's EASY!!! The BACKSPIN, of course!!! (Not to be confused with "backspin" the person who posts here! We like her!!! :mrgreen: )

What moves pattern do you hate the most? Currently I would have to say forward power 3's, but the back crossovers to BO edge ranks right up there too! And I'm sure when it's time to learn power pulls that I'll hate them MORE than I hate the two... :P

dani
09-07-2003, 07:28 AM
So far that stupid novice one that is on the Gold test. (inside 3/inside 3) That one is going to be the death of me ;-) Although it was the brackets that gave me my current set of bruises!

What other fun thing(s) have you had to give up for skating? For example, I had been going to the Chess club on Tuesday nights and I have stopped because of skating.

Hugs!
Danielle

StarshineXavier
09-07-2003, 08:52 AM
I'll be giving up watching Canadian Idol for the next 2 weeks due to the fact that I finish skating at the same time that it's over at. For me, it was usually giving up going to parties, or out to the movies/bowling/the mall, stuff like that. Now it means giving up work, which can sometimes be great!

What kind of food do you like to eat before or at skating?

icenut84
09-07-2003, 09:30 AM
I don't like to eat too soon before skating, I prefer to have at least an hour between. At skating, I sometimes eat something like a banana, as it's not too heavy and is good for you/gives you energy etc. I like to have a bar of chocolate after though - for a while, it was kind of a tradition to have a kit kat :)

Three turns or mohawks? (I prefer three turns.)

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Mohawks! My mohawks are 95% reliable when I'm skating with a partner, my 3-turns are only about 40% reliable (I'm apt to bottle them!).

What do you dislike most about your home rink?

skaternum
09-07-2003, 04:40 PM
It's SOOO COLD! Brrr. Even in the summertime.

How many rinks do you skate at on a regular basis?

sk8er1964
09-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Four. Depends on the time of year, though, which ones I'm at.

Have you ever shown off at a busy open skate? (I'll admit to showing off for some birthday party kids this weekend - they were amazed at a waltz jump, so I couldn't stop there :lol: .)

dancing_queen
09-07-2003, 09:58 PM
nope cant say i have

---------------------------------------

do u use the dame pair of blades for dance as u do for freekskate, or do u a desgnated pair for dance and then another for freeskate??

Mrs Redboots
09-08-2003, 08:58 AM
I do very little free skating, but, in fact, I have Precision blades which have the best of both worlds - something of a toe-rake, so I can jump if I really want to, but the shorter dance length.

If you could only do one discipline: free skating, pairs, dance or synchro, which would it be?

TashaKat
09-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Pairs ..... or Free ..... or Dance ;)

I don't know ..... Pairs! I think .... or Free ......

TashaKat
09-09-2003, 09:56 AM
.... and she forgets the question!

What has been your biggest achievement so far

SDFanatic
09-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Finding a coach.

How many pairs of gloves do you have? (I have one pair of red, two pairs of blue, three black ones, and one white one)

Steven

Mrs Redboots
09-09-2003, 10:24 AM
I don't keep gloves in my skate bag, as I very seldom wear them on the ice. Boot-covers, now.... 7 pairs, or is it 8. Only one pair has gone funny, the colour must have run....

For dancers: which is your favourite compulsory dance, and if you can't yet do many, which would you like to be able to do?

dani
09-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Without a doubt, it is the 14 step. I am a powerful skater and I love the feeling of being able to push as hard as I can on the edge of control! ;-)

I also have to say I really like the Willow too, because it is a nice pretty waltz.

The dance I would love to be able to skate well is the Silver Samba - it is a relatively easy dance but it is so quick and so much fun!

Do you bring your skates on vacation?

Hugs!
Danielle

Sk8Bunny
09-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Almost always, unless i will be gone only a few days. Like earlier this summer, i went to San Diego for 2 1/2 days and figured id soak up some sun and beach and take a break from the rink. but if ill be gone for 3 or more days, my skates go with me.

For those of you who travel w/ skates, are you over-protective of them? like when you check into a hotel, they are the first bag into the room, and they are always by your-side elsewere. i am like this, it drives my parents crazy hehe.

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Yes, indeed - they DON'T get left in the car overnight (it drove my parents crazy when we took them on holiday last May!).

What artistic/creative music would you really like to skate to? I'd love to do My name is Luka but am afraid I'd not do it justice. So I stick with farce....

Black Sheep
09-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
What artistic/creative music would you really like to skate to? I'd love to do My name is Luka but am afraid I'd not do it justice. So I stick with farce....

The theme music from the '80s game show Press Your Luck! But I'd only do it if I could throw in my axels and doubles.

At your practice sessions, do you have a tape monitor, or do you have to play your own tapes? 8-)

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2003, 10:47 AM
You play your own - IF you can get a moment to do so when the teachers don't want it and the elite dancers aren't hogging it.

Do you choreograph your own programmes, or does your coach do it, or do you employ a choreographer, or any combination of the above?

skaternum
09-10-2003, 04:32 PM
For my singles programs, my coach does the basic choreography. I.e., laying out spins & jumps & the overall pattern. But I generally do a lot of the refinements, like arms, head, expression, etc., and I do a little of the basic choreography as well. She & I are in agreement that adult skaters (me, in particular!) have to take responsibility for their skating, so I'm the one who provides her with the info about what elements I need to be competitive at my level. We work together really well. Some of my adult friends give their coaches free reign, with the coach picking out the music, doing all the choreography, picking / approving costumes, and even telling them what competitions they should or shouldn't do. I'd go nuts!

For my pairs programs, the coach has more control because it's too hard for 3 of us to collaborate. :)

Question: do you skate mostly rink-based sessions or on club ice sessions or on a combination?

Stormy
09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
All club-ice. My rink has very little rink sessions and I like being on Freestyles, anyways.

Have you ever done Synchro? I'm starting my 3rd season. If you've never tried it, you MUST! It's awesome!

luna_skater
09-11-2003, 01:01 AM
But of course. :) I'm starting my 12th season, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

What do you think is your strongest skating move, no matter how basic?

dani
09-11-2003, 06:00 AM
If you can't count stroking, then it has to be the Waltz jump. I am very, very proud of my Waltz! It is too bad it isn't a respectable jump because I clear over 6 feet of ice and I get some decent height too. The height looks even better because of the position!

What does your spouse/SO think of skating? (Mine thinks I am nuts, but knows that it makes me happy and is good for me so supports it and even shows up every now and then to video me!)

Hugs!
Danielle

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Thankfully mine is as hooked as me, and probably a better skater - stronger, certainly. So we partner each other and try desperately to skate better than our Dear Friends.... usually without success!

What move do you know you must practice every session or your coach will be AT you?

icenut84
09-12-2003, 09:00 AM
I don't have a coach at the moment, but I always practice my basic skills every session, e.g. three turns and mohawks, stroking, crossovers, etc. It improves your skating a lot, technique and consistency and fluidity etc, and I know it's important.

How many different rinks have you skated on in your life? I've skated on about 7 altogether, I think.

Elsy2
09-12-2003, 10:07 AM
It's really fun to think back on all the rinks I've skated at, let's see.....one in Ann Arbor, 3 in Cleveland, two in Columbus, one in Troy, 4 in Cincinnati/N. Kentucky, one in Nashville, one in Columbus, Indiana... I think that's it, lucky 13!

Did you have someone in particular at your rink inspire you to start skating?

Michigansk8er
09-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I was first inspired by seeing Carol Heiss in an ice show...so no, it wasn't anyone at my rink that inspired me to start. I was inspired, then found a rink (many, many, many years later).

What one element you are currently working on is the most challenging. I'm TOTALLY walley challenged.

dorvalskater1
09-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Double Salchow.

What music would you most like to skate too?

dani
09-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Please, if anyone knows of a good instrumental version, please help!!

Is your music one song, or multiple mixed together - mine is one song, but is mixed together because the song is several minutes long and my program is 2:06.

Hugs!
Danielle

Michigansk8er
09-13-2003, 05:57 PM
The Diamond Music

What music that you've skated to is your favorite so far? Mine is Legends of the Fall.

skaternum
09-13-2003, 07:13 PM
The Grand Valse from Chopin's ballet score "Les Sylphides."

What do you use to carry your skates to the rink? Wheeled suitcase, gym bag, etc.?

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2003, 05:08 AM
A rucksack (day bag); actually, most of the time my skates live at the rink - we have pigeon-holes in the lobby outside the pros' room.

How long is your average practice session (me: 1-1.5 hours; 2 hours is a long session).

dancing_queen
09-14-2003, 11:06 AM
2 hours
--------------------------
what is your favorite element?

Stormy
09-14-2003, 09:39 PM
I've always loved spirals, and have always been able to do them well.

Do you have anything lucky that you bring to competitions? I actually have a lucky dress that I *must* test Moves in, and my stuffed lucky Piglet that comes with me to competitions.

Sk8Bunny
09-15-2003, 05:42 PM
I bring a white teddy bear that I named Karma. My friend gave it too be last year and it has only 1 eye. She told me she picked it for me becuase she thought it needed the most love. So now he comes with me to competitions and tests.

If your rink has a jump harness, do you find it useful or not when learning new jumps?

TashaKat
09-16-2003, 02:16 AM
My rink didn't have a jump harness but I would have loved to have used one when I was learning the axel. As you all know it's difficult to learn and correct jumps and I always felt that being able to slow it down slightly (ie not meeting the ice again before I'd even had time to think) would have helped me.

GLITTER & GLITZ or PLAIN?

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Plain dress, but lots of glitzy, glittery bling bling...... and hair glitter, and sparkly make-up.....

(Incidentally, Tashakat, we now do have a harness at my rink - if and when you decide to skate again, you could try it out, no doubt. There's the set-up on the ice that looks like a fishing-pole, and the one off it that looks as though you are going to be hanged!)

If you (generic you - this is my question!) have access to a harness, do you love it or hate it?

Mel1977
09-16-2003, 07:01 AM
HATE IT!!! The velcro let loose once mid-axel and I fell out of it and landed on my head. Luckily I have a hard head and was unhurt!

If your club does an annual show, what was the most recent theme? Ours was Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

ChristianeDK
09-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Yes, we did 'The Wizard of Oz'. This year it's Peter Pan.

Are you a fast learner or a hard worker? :)

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Very definitely a hard worker!

How many times a week do you normally skate? And in the run-up to a competition?

dancing_queen
09-17-2003, 06:13 PM
5 or 6

-----------------------------------

who is the most influential person whenit cmes to your skating ( mine r shae-lynn bourne and victor kraatz)

sk8er1964
09-17-2003, 06:52 PM
My coach and all of the adults that I skate with.

If you test, what do you wear on test day?

CanAmSk8ter
09-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Depends what dances I'm testing, or if I'm taking moves, and also how cold the rink is. For dance I have a plain black dress with long sleeves and dark green stones, and a short-sleeved one trimmed with aurora stones, but sometimes I wear one of my competition dresses if I have one for that dance. When I take my American, for example, I'll probably wear the light blue dress I wore to compete the American last weekend- unless it's really cold. I've been known to bring two dresses to a test and decide which one to wear when I get there and can decide how cold I'll be.

dancing_queen- Shae and Victor are my biggest influences, too.

Does your rink do ISI or USFSA learn-to-skate?

Stormy
09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Just ISI. I wish they did Basic Skills, too, because I love the structure of the Basic Skills program.

Did you skate today? I actually had the morning off from work and was able to do two sessions. :)

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Not yet; I'm planning to skate on this evening's patch, and then at Dance Club.

Do you skate bare-footed (I mean inside your boots!)?

TashaKat
09-18-2003, 08:24 AM
No, I always wear skating tights but not socks as they wrinkle and rub! I did skate in bare feet once and it felt great but when I tried it the next time I ended up with scars all over my feet :(

If you participate in more than one discipline do you (or would you like to) wear different blades/boots (eg dance blades for dance and free blades for free)?

Black Sheep
09-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
If you participate in more than one discipline do you (or would you like to) wear different blades/boots (eg dance blades for dance and free blades for free)?

I used to do Synchro., and I had a different pair of skates for those. Actually they were--and still are!--Ridell synchro boots with synchro blades. Some coach helped design them.

Do you, or have you ever, had boots/blades in another color (other than the traditional black/white)? 8-)

luna_skater
09-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I've always purchased white boots, but then dyed them beige for synchro.

Do you wear your skates as they are (laced up all the way, with no pads or sponges), or do you make additions and adjustments? For example, I wear bunga sleeves, skip the top hole, and skip the top eyelet.

TashaKat
09-19-2003, 02:02 AM
I have purple boots at the moment (stood looking at me, waiting for me to start skating again!)

Do you wear your skates as they are (laced up all the way, with no pads or sponges), or do you make additions and adjustments? For example, I wear bunga sleeves, skip the top hole, and skip the top eyelet.

(Edited to repeat luna_skater's question because I forgot to 'refresh' and her post came up before mine!)

jazzpants
09-19-2003, 02:51 AM
I have mine untied at the top eyelet and I have this Dr. Scholl's pad on the ball of the foot for both feet. I HATE doing forwards spins w/o those pads!!! (My boots are just painful to spin on since I really press on that ball of the foot!)

Do you buy your competition 1) auction/dress off the rack, 2) auction/dress off the rack but embellish it with more stones, 3) get them custom made, or 4) you sew them yourself/mom does them for you?

I'm contemplating 2) for my next competition, since I find that stoning a dress isn't that hard, but I'll probably go with 1) this time around. My last competition dress was 3), but this is way overboard for my first competition dress and I'm not exactly "made of money" anymore. If I had the skills, I'd probably do 4). (But I don't so that option is out...) :-P

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
I have 2 dresses that were made for me, one bought off-the-rack, and one given me by a friend and then subsequently altered by another friend. Plus various skirt/leotard combinations - no, only one now, I've thrown out the one I didn't like so much when I saw it on video - that I made myself.

Whoops, nearly forgot a question. Ummm.... Okay a choice between a black-and-gold dress with a figure skating-length skirt (http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/P014.jpg), and a green dress with chiffon skirt (http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/P001.jpg), which would you wear for the Swing Dance, and which for the Riverside Rhumba?

CanAmSk8ter
09-19-2003, 03:48 PM
I would say black and gold for the Rhumba. Rhumba just says black or a bright color to me, and you can really do any color for the Swing. I think my Swing dress was royal blue.

What's one kind of music you want to try skating to but haven't? I've always wanted to do a samba, but I'm still awhile away from doing the Silver Samba. I'll probably do one for my footwork program next year.

TashaKat
09-20-2003, 04:04 AM
Slow, classic, romantic, intense ..... it's not used very often at the 'lower' levels (or it's used inappropriately!). I KNOW that my skating probably isn't up to it but it would be nice to give it a go!

Your favourite step (talking footwork not jumps or spins)?

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Er - 3-bracket-3 when I can make it happen. Or else FI-BO twizzle. But I can't do either of those at speed.

Do you enjoy artistic/interpretive/creative routines?

sk8er1964
09-21-2003, 02:40 PM
I haven't tried one yet, but I'm looking forward to doing one this year. My Mom, a former coach, and I will be putting one together this year. We already have the music picked out and the basic idea for what we want to do - we just need to find the time where we can both get out on the ice.

Do you stretch after you skate?

icenut84
09-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Not as much as I should. I do stretch at some point though.

What's your best tip for entering a 1-foot upright spin properly?

dancing_queen
09-21-2003, 05:44 PM
the best advice is to wait you want to make a full semi circle before you actaully started spinning, once you do slowly bring your arms and leg in. Hope this helps

---------------------------------

does anyone have onhints on how to hydroblade?

SDFanatic
09-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Mmm, I don't have an exact hint, but front what I see on how its done, you basicly do a back crossover, and just let the leg continue out as you sit on your skating leg.

I leave the question open to someone how may be able to describe it better.

Steven

CanAmSk8ter
09-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dancing_queen

does anyone have onhints on how to hydroblade?

I don't, and that's mainly because very, very, very few skaters have the technique to do it correctly. According to Shae and Victor, the technique lies in the edge and changes slightly based on what you're trying to do. Where your weight needs to be depends on which edge you're on, how low you're trying to be, whether you're going forward or backward, and whether you're supporting or being supported by your partner. It's the kind of thing I would love to discuss with them, just absorbing and learning and hearing their ideas. But I'm weird like that ;)

If you've ever done synchro, what level team(s) have you been on?

Stormy
09-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Just Teen Introductory for the past two years.

I'll ask the same question, if you've done Synchro, what level(s)?

luna_skater
09-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Oh, man, I've done so many! Recreational B (sort of an intro team), Recreational Novice, Competitive Novice, Competitive Senior, Festival Open, Festival Junior, and Festival Adult!

Do you have any bad habits when it comes to skating? If I'm unsure of myself, I bring my shoulders up and slump forward, so I'm always trying really hard to concentrate on keeping my shoulders back and upper body straight.

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2003, 06:31 AM
My worst habit, according to my coach, is skating with my feet apart. Deep sigh....

Do you prefer going forwards or going backwards?

tidesong
09-22-2003, 09:03 AM
I prefer to go forwards although my backward cross overs are techincally better...

-----------

Which element for you is the most satisfying to perform but least satisfying to watch other people perform.

ChristianeDK
09-26-2003, 05:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good question!

I don't know, I'll go ask somebody if I can find anybody who dares to answer! :lol:

Probably my dear ugly toeloop and salchow! 8-)

-----------------------------

Would you prefer to skate with someone better than you to get more challenge or to skate with someone weaker just to make sure you're getting everything right?

luna_skater
09-26-2003, 06:12 PM
I'd prefer to skate with someone stronger than myself. I've done both, and have found that when I'm next to a weaker skater, I'm not as motivated to do well. When I skate next to a really strong skater, I push myself harder to be able to skate closer to their level.

What's your nemesis move of the moment?

icedancer2
09-26-2003, 06:13 PM
I definitely like to skate with people who are stronger than me -- both as partners and also just the people that I share the ice with. I find inspiration from their strength and find myself copying their body line, etc. (as much as possible!!;) ).

Dancers: Do you have dance blades and even if you don't what are your opinion of them? I myself am obsessed with my blades right now -- an "older version" MK Dance -- some things I like about them and other things, not so good...

icedancer2
09-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, since I posted at the same time as luna_skater, I'll answer her question -- the nemesis move:

Anything where I have to turn from a left back edge (inside or outside) to a right front edge -- I have the hardest time putting my foot down for the forward and it is completely driving me crazy!! This is a fairly new problem -- I used to be able to do it without even thinking, but then one day had a problem with it and then found it harder and harder and harder to do -- now I think it's just psychological -- and it comes up in practically every dance (on the solo) and in Moves, too -- aacckkk!! Drives me crazy!!

So I'll re-ask my question -- re: dance baldes: what's your opinion, whether you have them or not??

luna_skater
09-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I have synchro blades, which are similar to dance blades. They are short like a dance blade, but are the same width as a freeskate blade. I love the blades I have now, though it's hard to compare them to other blades. I went from a pair of skates that came with blades on them, to MK Precision, to Ultima Precision. The short heel is great for synchro, and it is turning out to be great for mohawks in dance, too! However, it requires a lot more balance to hold a long edge, since you have less blade to work with. What I love about the Ultimas is that I hardly ever have to get them sharpened. If I did go to a dance blade, I would definitely look at Ultima first, because I used to have to get my MKs sharpened constantly!

Since we're on the topic of dance...which dance gives you the most trouble? Is it the whole thing, or just one particular step? The LBO edge to RFO edge on the Keats Foxtrot is making me crazy right now! AAAHHHHHH!!!

Mrs Redboots
09-27-2003, 04:21 AM
That bit's all right - it's that Mohawk. The move I really have no idea how to do is the Mohawk in the Tango. And of dances I have a realistic hope of doing, I still rush the Mohawk in my Swing Dance.

Are you tempted to buy the brightly-coloured tights that are so fashionable right now? For practice, I mean, not for competition. I must admit I am....

icenut84
09-27-2003, 08:43 AM
If I wore skirts to skate in, my answer would probably be yes! (I wear stretchy trousers.) I like the look of funky tights :) And the look of different colours other than just tan legs on skaters. Go for it, Mrs R! :)

What's your favourite dance (if you do dance)? I haven't done dance for ages, but when I did, my favourites were probably the Canasta Tango, Swing Dance, and maybe British Waltz.

Jillianioso
09-27-2003, 10:57 AM
My fav dance is definately the Westminster and Starlight. I love waltzes!!

If you could choose the theme for OD, what would you pick?

(Sorry if this double posted.. this computer doesn't work well)

icenut84
09-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Do you mean for elite competition, like Worlds? I'd definitely choose a single theme, I don't like the mish-mash of styles that they are doing at the moment. I'd probably choose something like a blues, or something with a slow rhythm.

What is your opinion on the new judging system, the Code of Points?

luna_skater
09-27-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm interested in it because it is a major change to a sport that has been fairly static in the judging department for the better part of a century. I'm not one of those people who has analyzed the system to death; however, from what I HAVE read, it doesn't appear to be any less subjective than the old system. To be fair, I have mostly only read up on dance. Nevertheless, I've been a firm believer from the start, that the change needs/needed to be made not to the judging system, but to the people in it.

What's the most you have or would pay for a practice dress?

Stormy
09-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I think $85.00, for a Del Arbour practice dress. I never wear dresses for practice so I only treat myself to one a year.

What's the most you've paid for a competition dress?

dani
09-27-2003, 05:07 PM
$40 for the dress and $250 for the stones ;-) I think it is gorgeous though!!

Is your competition dress based on the theme of your music? Mine wasn't specifically, except I did make it blue because I skated to Water Music.

Hugs!
Danielle

CanAmSk8ter
09-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I have a bunch of competition dresses because I have to skate whatever dances are drawn for any given competition. Right now I have a Waltz dress, a Foxtrot/Quickstep dress, a Tango dress, a Paso Doble dress, a Blues dress, and so on, plus some stoned practice dresses for official practices at big competitions like Lake Placid. I have a couple of different ones for most dances too, a short sleeve or sleeveless and a long sleeve, because I usually compete two or three times in the spring/summer and another two or three times during the late fall/winter. I get cold really easily, but even I don't need sleeves in Lake Placid in August, so I usually have two. But since the rhthyms don't change, and I'm not growing anymore, I'll be able to wear them all for years.

Oops, almost forgot a question. Do you make it a point to follow elite skating and tape it when it's on TV and everything?

Stormy
09-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Not as much as I used to when I started skating. Back then, I taped EVERYTHING and watched them all! Now, I just tape Nationals and Worlds, and anything Brian Boitano may be in. :)

What's been your favorite piece of music you've skated to? So far, mine's been Time To Say Goodbye.

luna_skater
09-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Mine was a selection of modern and traditional Native American music. Some of it is on a CD called Sacred Spirits.

Do you take your skates home with you all the time, or do you have a locker at your rink?

Sk8Bunny
09-27-2003, 11:00 PM
My home rink doesnt have lockers, or locker rooms for that matter, so no, i dont keep my skates in a locker. The club/rink I skate at during the summer has lockers. I do keep a lot of stuff it mine, but not my skates. I think its important to take home skates and let them dry properly. Besides, I really couldnt imagine keeping 500 dollar or more skates locked up in a locker. It doesnt take much for someone to figure out your lock combination.

Do you have a test session coming up soon? I have one in 7 days- yikes!

melanieuk
09-28-2003, 09:31 AM
No, I've not done a test since Oct 2002.

Where are your boots right now?

lilpairsk8ter
09-28-2003, 09:56 AM
My skates are in my car cause im sooo busy right now that ive said every day this past week that ill make time to go to the rink but i havent had time yet. Maybe today i will.

Who is your favorite skating dress designer/maker? and describe your favorite dress made by them.

dancing_queen
09-28-2003, 11:39 AM
my mom! she makes all my dresses! but my favorite is a sky blue velour with a one shoulder strap...the skirt is white shiffon. It also had whitel rindstons along the neck line

----------------------------------------------

If you could met one figure skater, or pair who would it be?

luna_skater
09-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Elvis, no question!

Have you met any famous skaters? If so, who? I've had my pic taken with Steven Cousins and Faiella/Scali. Also with Dough Leigh; I guess he was a skater at some point! And although I haven't spoken a word to him, I've seen Scott Davis coaching at my rink.

TashaKat
09-29-2003, 02:21 AM
Robin Cousins (skated on the same ice as him a few times)

Clive Shorten (ex-British Pairs and Men's Champion) who used to teach me and did the body double for Robbie Williams in "She's The One" video)

..... we don't get much chance to meet people in the UK and don't have many 'famous' ones here of our own :(

Best ever moment on the ice and worst ever moment on the ice?

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Best ever moment is when you go out there and everybody cheers and hoots and whistles and rings cowbells! Worst ever moment is when they read out the scores: 1.2, 1.2.... (I exaggerate, they weren't quite that bad, and 2-e of the judges had us in the low 2.0s). All the same, I do wish one day we'd get higher marks - it's not as if we don't skate better now than we used to.

What is the furthest you have ever travelled for a competition (for me, to the Mountain Cup in France - if I do get a job, we will come and compete in the USA one of these years).

skaternum
09-29-2003, 08:10 AM
I traveled from North Carolina to St. Louis for the State Games of America in 1999. I also went from NC to Lake Placid, NY. It wasn't longer on terms of mileage, but it's a lot longer in travel time. Lake Placid is a bear to get in & out of.

Does your club competition combine the short & long programs into a single event, or are they separate?

Mrs Redboots
09-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Our Club doesn't hold that sort of competition as a closed competition - it is always artistic "Hot Ice" type of skating. At the annual Open competition, however, it does have qualifying classes (skaters have to skate a certain number of Opens during the year to qualify for the British Championships at any level except Adult), and at these, the events are separate with however many hours the legal minimum is between them.

Are you having a new programme this year, or keeping last year's, perhaps with modifications?

dancing_queen
10-05-2003, 10:09 AM
getting a new program

-----------------------------------------

what color r you skateguards????

vesperholly
10-05-2003, 11:22 AM
My guards are silver and bright pink with sparkles in them.

Do you prefer to practice in pants or skirts/dresses?

Jess-ka
10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by vesperholly
My guards are silver and bright pink with sparkles in them.

Do you prefer to practice in pants or skirts/dresses?
it depends, if it is a normal practice i use pants but usually for a couple of practices before a competition, test or show i wear the dress i am going to wear to make sure we don't need any last minute adjustments(last time i had to tape the dress to me b/c the top is too big)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
what do you prefer to watch: mens,ladies,pairs,icedance?

ChristianeDK
10-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Definitely men's!!

If you could have one of new costumes form this season which would you choose? (Me: Probably Sokolova's black femme fatale - or Sasha' Swan 8O :lol: 8-) )

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Sadly, since terrestrial television doesn't show ice skating, and we can't get British Eurosport, which does, I have no idea whose dress looks like what. But one dress I have long coveted is one Chen Lu wore some years ago for her short programme - it was very plain black, with a purple edging, just the sort of dress I like!

When is your next competition?

sk8er1964
10-06-2003, 01:07 PM
3 weeks from yesterday 8O . Then none until next February. (I'm doing this one just for the fun of it :) ).

What's your favorite color to wear/see worn out on the ice?

Mrs Redboots
10-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Ideally a deep colour or black, not white (please, not white!) or pastels.

Have you skated yet this week?

luna_skater
10-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Yep; had synchro last night and will have a synchro skills session Wednesday morning. Then a whole week off because practice is cancelled for Thanksgiving Monday.

How much practicing do you do on your own (i.e., outside of lesson time)?

Sk8Bunny
10-07-2003, 06:58 PM
my parents can only afford one private lesson a week. I only skate 1 to 1.5 hours per day, 5 times a week, and somewhere in there, i have a 1/2 hour private lesson.
In the summer, i skate more on my own, and when i go to this one summer skate program, i get a lot more coaching. Thats the only time my parents 'really splurge' on skating lessons. :lol:

What is your favourite rink you have ever skated at?(where is it located?). A few years ago, I skated at a rink in Breckenridge, CO and the view and location of the rink was spectalular. When you skate, you look out into the woods. There are big glass windows in the corners of the rink- very awesome.

Jillianioso
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
TD Waterhouse Center in Orlando, Florida. I have amazing memories there and that rink is huge and really nice!!!!

What's your favourite skating memory?

CanAmSk8ter
10-07-2003, 07:29 PM
I don't know if I can really pin that down. I have three of the best friends I could ever want, and over the last not-quite-two years that we've all been training together we've had so many fun times. I could try to explain some of them, but I'm not sure they'd make sense. I think you'd have to know us ;)

I think I'll use that quetsion again: what's your favorite skating memory?

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Winning the Ladies Interpretive III class at the Dune of Flanders Cup for the second year running! I never quite believed it the first year, it was too unexpected.

What is your favourite move? I think mine is forward cross-rolls.

icenut84
10-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I always liked backward crossovers (because I could do them quite well), and I also like doing kind of cross-legged glide things, and also twirly things like double 3s. I like doing BO3s.

What aches and pains do you usually get from skating?

melanieuk
10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Left ankle aches.
Under ball of left foot swells and grows!

What's you favourite kind of ice? ie used? soft or hard, slippery!

icenut84
10-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Freshly resurfaced. NOT covered in hockey ruts, which is what usually happens. Not *too* soft (I don't know, but i think I prefer slightly harder ice).

How much does a typical skate cost you? Including travel and rink entry, locker, etc?

sk8er1964
10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Open skate at Vets (during working hours) is $5.25/session
Open freestyle at Chelsea (also during working hours) is $8.00/hour
Pass-through ice at the Ice Cube (also during working hours) is $8.00/hour
My Club ice (on Saturday) is $9.00/hour - $10.00 to drop in with a card.
Open freestyle (different rink) on Saturdays is 10:00/hour to drop in.

All of the five or so rinks I go to are within 15-20 minute drive from either my work or my home, so travel costs are not an issue.

How many rinks do you skate at?

skaternum
10-08-2003, 01:46 PM
I skate regularly at two rinks, and occasionally at two other rinks.

Do you receive the USFSA pins and/or medals for your testing achievements? If so, do you pay for them or does your club? (My club pays for them. It's considered one of the benefits of testing. Some of them are pricey, too!)

LoopLoop
10-08-2003, 02:11 PM
We only get the patches... except for gold tests, then you get the pin.

How many pairs of gloves are in your skate bag?

dancing_queen
10-08-2003, 09:33 PM
2!!

-------------------------------
what cut of music to u think is the most overplayed??

Mrs Redboots
10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
All that Jazz from Chicago, and anything from Cats

What would you like to skate to, but your coach says the judges would have no idea what you were trying to do (for me, it's the music from Red Dwarf)

batikat
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
My son used to skate to the music from Red Dwarf - not as an artistic but for his level 3 Free Programe.

Now he's on Final Fantasy music.

I'd like to skate to some music from the 70's or maybe it was early 80's by Jimmy the Hoover but I can't find it and I'm sure the judges wouldn't know it.

Are you doing a Christmas show or panto this year and if so what is it? Ours is based on the legends of King Arthur and called 'The Knights before Christmas' (groan!)

NickiT
10-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by batikat

Are you doing a Christmas show or panto this year and if so what is it? Ours is based on the legends of King Arthur and called 'The Knights before Christmas' (groan!) [/B]

Enjoying the bunny hops, Gail?:P

Nicki

batikat
10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by NickiT
Enjoying the bunny hops, Gail?:P

Nicki

No I'm not - I had to ask the coach how to do them since it must be over 3 years since I had to do one to pass a'learn to skate' test and I vaguely recall never quite being sure what I was doing then!!:roll:

The rest is OK though - I like 3 turns and spins and drags! Just wish I could speed up the music though. Slow and elegant skating is not my forte!

maybe I'll change the question :
Are you a speed merchant or is your skating elegant and flowing (or are you one of those lucky few who can be both)?

sk8er1964
10-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Speed and power are my strong suits. I had another adult skater tell me last year that I skate too fast :lol: . However, my coach and I have been working very hard on my presentation skills, and I think some of his elegance is starting to rub off on me (at least I hope so....)

What skating trait do you not have what you would love to have? (ie, for me, elegance and flowing lines)

CanAmSk8ter
10-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Better extension. I'm barely five feet tall, and my legs are so short that they don't look extended even when they are. (Granted, they often *aren't* :roll: ). I could go for softer knees too, but I don't want to be greedy ;)

When you test, do the judges usually write a lot on your papers, or just a couple of quick things? I've had judges write all over the space for comments and into the margins, but last summer I got a (passing) paper back where the only comment was "ok".

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2003, 07:09 AM
I haven't yet tested under our new system where the judges give you written comments - in my test days, such comments as you got were verbal. You still get verbal, too.....

(Gail, the way to do a bunny-hop is this - first you kick the rabbit in his stomach and, when he doubles over, you stomp on the back of his neck.....)

Am I the only one who gets horrendously depressed about her skating, usually just before things start to improve?

melanieuk
10-10-2003, 07:21 AM
No you are not the only depressive, Annabel! ;)
I would despair at the backspin, and then I would get it (temporarily) just when I thought things could get no worse!

What's your most embarrassing moment on the ice?

NickiT
10-10-2003, 08:17 AM
My most embarrassing moment on ice was probably when I competed for the first time and I virtually opened my programme with a sit spin. The thing was my sit spin was a bit hit and miss at the time and adding in the nerves, I completely messed it up. I tried to continue with my programme but I was everywhere too early because of the missed spin. I had so many people supporting me that I felt that I hadn't just let myself down but let them down too. Strangely enough my sit spin is one of my strongest elements now:D !!

My question is this. What is the worst skating injury you have ever suffered?

Nicki

Jillianioso
10-10-2003, 08:37 AM
I'd have to say cracked tailbone. When I was younger I was training my axel to get more spead and as I was about to take off I went off the back of my blade and was in a huge lean and smacked down on my bum! Yep couldn't sit for a few weeks lol (well without sharp shooting pains and aches)

Ok Question:

Do you think the politics involved with skating will ultimately ruin the sport? (like 30 yrs from now)

icenut84
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
I don't know. I certainly hope not. If you think about it, allegations and rumours of politics are nothing new, and the sport's survived this long without deteriorating. I think (hope?) it'll be ok.

How many, if any, competitions are you planning to skate in this season?

dancing_queen
10-10-2003, 11:16 AM
3!

-----------------------------------

whats your favorite dance in ice dancing, wheather to watch it or to do it? ( ie: dutch waltz)

Jess-ka
10-10-2003, 12:00 PM
for some reason i absolutely love the fourteen step... ithink it's b/c the music we have is so corny...or b/c i am weird...but i love to watch tangos...any of them:)
------------------------------------------
who is your fav. pair/dance team?

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Depends on which aspect of the sport I'm thinking about. My favourites are different when they are World-class, Junior World Class, or Adult skaters! Or even British or French adult skaters.... Maybe I'd just best say "Me and Robert, of course!"

Do you like to use lots of glitter on your hair/face/body during a competition?

skaternum
10-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Good gracious, NO! I think adults look positively silly with glitter on. I'd go so far as to say I think it's just plain tacky.

Aside from a competition or official practice ice for an event, what's the most number of guys you've shared the ice with at any given time? We had 6 on the ice last week. It may not sound impressive, but we're not an elite training center (understatement!), so 6 guys is a big deal. :)

Jess-ka
10-10-2003, 03:01 PM
um i think up to 13 or 15.... hmm same questionAside from a competition or official practice ice for an event, what's the most number of guys you've shared the ice with at any given time?

Mrs Redboots
10-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Oh, we have hordes of small boys - our elite dancers aren't here at the moment, but today, a regular Saturday morning, there must have been at least five adult men and as many boys. All figure skaters or ice dancers. Oh, and three male coaches.

(BTW Skaternum, many, if not most adults here put at least some glitter on for competitions! I noticed it seems to be less common in the USA, which is why I asked.).

Do you do any flexibility training and, if so, what do you recommend?

icenut84
10-11-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't do formal "flexibility training", just stretching. I do the stretches I know from gymnastics. As for recommendations, you should stretch when you're completely warmed up (try doing it after a walk?), and do it gently (especially at first). Also, work downwards on your body (e.g. neck/shoulders/arms, back/torso, hips/pelvis etc, legs). If you don't already know any, learn some proper stretches so you know you're not hurting yourself or doing it wrong/ineffectively. And also massage and flex your ankles and feet. And hold the spiral position on each leg too. :) Hope that helps!

If you entered a competition where you had to perform one jump, one spin and one spiral, which ones would you choose?

Lutzgirl
10-11-2003, 01:30 PM
i love ballierina jumps i think they are the greatest !

My favourite spin is sit! :halo:
what about u?

NickiT
10-11-2003, 03:00 PM
My favourite spin is the sit spin too:D !!!

Competing or taking tests? Which do you find the most daunting?

Nicki

CanAmSk8ter
10-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Definitely testing! I don't get nervous really at all when I compete- at least, not anymore, I had some serious nerve issues from 2001-2002, but I got them under control this season. Yay! Now that I've managed that, I need to try to do the same when I'm testing. I think part of my testing problem is that my club tends to get the same judges for almost every session so I get into the whole, "ok, so-and-so mentioned that I flat out the rocker, so I gotta watch that, and such-and-such keeps mentioning posture, so I have to remember to stand up" etc. At competitions, I don't usually even know all of the judges, and I feel more like they're just there to enjoy watching us rather than rate us. (Plus, at competitions, even if you don't skate well you can place well if other people in your group don't either! I know, I know, that's not the point;))

Do you find that you work better with a specific testing or competing goal in mind? I've been so bored the last few weeks that it's been hard for me to motivate myself to really get on the ice and work, even though I knew I'd be testing sometime in November or December. But now that the schedule's out and I have an actual date in mind, I'm raring to go in and train this week.

NickiT
10-12-2003, 03:17 AM
Absolutely!!!! I don't enjoy testing or competing but I feel it is necessary to ensure that I make good progress and keep motivated. I need goals to keep me hard at it and motivated. Thanks to my two competitions this summer and the test I plan to do in a month's time, I can now do a lutz, camel spin and back spin. I reckon if it weren't for need for these elements in my programme, I wouldn't be able to do them now!

My question - for those of you who do compete or test, how nervous do you get, and how do you deal with it?

Nicki

Lutzgirl
10-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Thats really great NickiT !!
Maybe we can talk more Pm me sometime! i am 12 by the way! :):halo:

sk8er1964
10-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by NickiT
My question - for those of you who do compete or test, how nervous do you get, and how do you deal with it?

Nicki

I try to concentrate only on myself - on my body, my program or test, my routine. My coach is really good at helping me do this. I try to completely ignore the fact that there are other competitors and judges. If I have to talk with the judges, at a test, I try to joke with them so I look at them as people who really want me to succeed, not as demons who are out to get me :lol: .

Do you need to take a breather every once in a while? I usually skate 6 days a week, but I was really tired this week so I've taken 2 days off and may take tomorrow off too.

SDFanatic
10-12-2003, 01:34 PM
I usually take the weekends of, although at the moment I have little choice as I'm still working the weekends. This week I put in 17 hours of skating, about 5 hours more then I've typically been averaging in the winter. I don't think I'll try to pick up any more days or hours unless work picks up and I need to.

Asre there any skaters from your club or rink that are skating at regionals?

Steven

CanAmSk8ter
10-12-2003, 07:31 PM
I don't know exactly how many we have going to Regionals- I can think of five off the top of my head, but I may be forgetting someone. Then we also have two with a bye to US Sectionals, two doing Canadian Sectionals, and two more who get a bye to Nationals.

Oops, almost forgot a question. Does your club or rink do any kind of send off show/party/reception for its skaters going to qualifiers?

LoopLoop
10-13-2003, 08:34 AM
My club has a sendoff show for regionals... and everyone who's competing gets to perform if they want to, including the non-qualifying levels.

When you're having a lousy skating day, what's the one thing you can ALWAYS do to redeem the session? (For me it's spread eagles, ina bauer, and loop jumps! OK, that's more than one.)

melanieuk
10-13-2003, 09:55 AM
It used to be a camel spin, just before I stopped skating in April.

Do you warm up and/or stretch before you go on the ice?

TashaKat
10-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Does having a hot chocolate and a chat count? I was INFAMOUS for not warming up ... even on the warm up. I used to get on, wander around for a few seconds and then stand by the barrier chatting.

What makes you want to keep skating?

SDFanatic
10-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Because I haven't learned everything yet, and what i have learned is not perfect, and it's annoying!

What color is your skate bag?

Steven

Jess-ka
10-13-2003, 08:46 PM
green,
do you have any lucky items you bring to the rink?? i have three monkeys in my skate bag and i have a gold necklace that i never take off...

dancing_queen
10-13-2003, 09:08 PM
a silver chain neclace with a tinkerbelle charm from my trip to disney world!

----------------------------------------------------------------

if anything, what do u DISLIKE about skating?
for me its the bruises u aquire from falling:D

NickiT
10-14-2003, 02:47 AM
The ONE thing I dislike about skating? Like you it's got to be the painful bumps and bruises I get sometimes and the fear of doing myself another big nasty!!!

What is the one element/step/field move etc that you really don't like doing?

For me it's the mohawk step sequence in the Bronze field moves!

Nicki

melanieuk
10-14-2003, 03:00 AM
I didnt like when it was time to make me a new programme as I was so limited in what I could do.

What element has taken you longest to master?

Mrs Redboots
10-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Hmm, Mel and NickiT both seem to have posted at around the same time, so to answer both their questions:

I really don't like doing FO3s at any sort of speed, unless I'm with a partner and often not even then.

And I think doing FO3s at speed has taken me the longest to master, or is it plain vanilla back stroking? Or both.

Do you think we skaters are crazy? We work for hours and hours to correct something by a matter of centimetres, knowing, as we do so, that it will never be absolutely perfect....

:roll: 8O

icenut84
10-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Yes, sometimes I think we are crazy. Mad. Sometimes I think, why on earth am I spending money on this when I know I'm just going to be frustrated and cold? (Sorry, had a bad day. And I haven't even been skating today.)

What's your favourite 3 turn? (I think I'm in a minority because I'd probably say BO3s).

TashaKat
10-15-2003, 02:22 AM
LOL ... yes, you ARE in a minority ;) I liked them when they started to become comfortable but then I broke my wrist doing one :roll: My favourites are American 3's

Given the choice (no ISU restrictions) what would be your dream costume?

ChristianeDK
10-15-2003, 04:30 AM
I always wanted to be Peter Pan! I imagine a costume a bit like Katt Witt's Robin Hood (my first ever skating memory actually!). I think it's silly you have to wear a skirt!

(For dresses: Right now I really like the black and red costume Viktoria Volchkova used un her SP a few seasons ago. V. unusual but she looked hot! )

Q. What's an American 3?

dancing_queen
10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Im pretty sure but correct me if im wrong arnt tohse the open three turns that are done the the American Waltz

---------------------------

what is the most # of time su have had 2 retry a dance, and what dance was it?

luna_skater
10-18-2003, 09:07 PM
So far, I've passed all my dances on the first try. I get the impression my coach wouldn't really bother signing me up for a test session, or he'd pull me, if he thought I wasn't ready to test a particular dance.

What is your favourite one-foot turn?

dani
10-19-2003, 06:29 AM
At speed it would be a right inside 3 that you really push into. If I can go slower, it would be a left outside bracket. Those have a cool feeling both going into them and during the turn.

Do you wear glasses - if so how do you deal with the when you skate? I usually wear mine except for the freeskate. And they fog horribly every time I leave the rink.

Hugs!
Danielle

luna_skater
10-19-2003, 12:56 PM
I wear glasses, but not to skate. When I was younger I skated in glasses and really had no problems because I'd never known any different! I got contacts when I was 13 and I simply CANNOT skate with glasses on anymore. I have extremely bad eyesight, and I feel really unbalanced with my glasses on because I have no peripheral vision.

How sharp do you like your blades?

TashaKat
10-20-2003, 02:24 AM
"death grind" .... I like them SHARP!

What 'strength' of boots do you prefer?

x

sk8er1964
10-24-2003, 03:44 PM
I really don't know how to answer this. I like the strength in my Klingbeils ;) .

Does your last program run-through before a competition usually go well, or is it absolutely lousy? (Mine are ususally lousy -- I figure it gets the bad out of my system beforehand 8-).)

mousey
10-24-2003, 10:16 PM
lousy

how long does it take you to break in new skates?

TashaKat
10-25-2003, 03:57 AM
Since buying Harlicks virtually no time at all :D Previous to that it varied from 6 months (and wrecked feet) to killing them in 6 weeks (and wrecked ankles)!

If there was just ONE thing about your skating (be specific, I'm not talking about 'getting better' LOL) that you could improve 'by magic' what would it be?

icenut84
10-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Spinning. I'd like to have more talent at it, be able to spin centred, fast, smooth, for a long time, etc. It's extremely frustrating that it's so difficult for me to master properly.

If you've landed all your single jumps, which did you find hardest and which did you find easiest?

melanieuk
10-25-2003, 11:54 AM
If you've landed all your single jumps, which did you find hardest and which did you find easiest?

The toe loop because it feels weird, and the axel because it came & went too much.
Easiest for me is the flip, I think!

Who's layback is your favourite?

icenut84
10-25-2003, 12:00 PM
You mean out of the elites? That's difficult, I like a lot of them. I'd probably say Sasha Cohen's because her position is so good (I prefer it when she has her free leg held up though, rather than when she lowers it which I don't think looks as nice. Although Michelle Kwan's looks nice.)

Who's spirals are your favourite?

melanieuk
10-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Definitely Sasha Cohen's.

What colour guards and soakers do you have and how often do you clean them?

Kelli
10-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Black and purple guards, green soakers with monkeys on them.
Clean them...? Uhh... 8O

What was your biggest skating accomplishment of the past month?

skaternum
10-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Getting more than 1 revolution on my wannabe layback!

Are you celebrating Halloween and dressing up? If so, what are you going as?

Jess-ka
10-25-2003, 07:42 PM
i'm not sure yet i figuer i am scarey enough so i may just go as me...

does your rink throw halloween/christmas parties? ours does, they are usually pretty fun but idk if i want to go this yr

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Our dance club is having a Christmas party this year, but I don't think I shall go as the next day is my last day in my current job - they will, I think, understand that I don't feel like celebrating this year!

One year we had a St Valentine's Day party when that fell on the right day, which was great fun. I expect if Hallowe'en fell on it they might have a party, but as Robert and I have religious objections to Hallowe'en, we wouldn't go. On the other hand, the club ignores Bonfire Night..... But the whole rink - both Clubs and other skaters - will do something for Children in Need.

What is your most recent achievement in skating that you're proud of? Mine is discovering that I might be able to do a very bad Tango!

icenut84
11-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Hmm, I haven't had many recent "achievements" as such as I'm still getting back into it in a way, after not skating much/having lessons for 6 months. The one I can think of would be that I am getting more consistent and comfortable doing edge spirals, and getting respectable leg height/position and a decent edge. :)

How many different skating clubs have you ever been a member of? (My answer would be... zero.)

sk8er1964
11-03-2003, 03:46 PM
I have been a member of three different clubs - two as a kid (one ISIA and one USFSA), and I rejoined the USFSA club as an adult.

If you compete, why do you do it? If you don't compete, why not?

TreSk8sAZ
11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
When I am able to compete, I do it because it's fun and I have a naturally competitive streak that is satisfied. I also like knowing where I am to others in my level. But mostly I don't compete simply because there aren't a lot of Young adult competitions in my region, and being 19 and lower level is just hard. We're concentrating on getting up to passing my senior freeskate and moves until I'm old enough to compete with the adults.

What temperature is your rink normally? Lately ours has been about 45 and FREEZING!

SDFanatic
11-05-2003, 08:40 PM
My regular rink is about 45f also, humidity is about 40%

You'll find that temperature is not as much of a factor as humidty, my summer rink would be much colder after a rain as it would be more humid. My winter rink has much better control and therefor it's not bad at all on any given day.

How many blade guards do you find that were left from the day before? (I found seven pairs today!)

Steven

dancing_queen
11-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Hardly ever any!

--------------------------------

what skater do think is the most dersrving of olympic gold but has never recieved it! ( for me its Shae-lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz)

icenut84
11-06-2003, 10:23 AM
There are many that could have won (given their skill level) but didn't. Some that were/are Olympic champion material include Kurt Browning, Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Midori Ito, etc etc. Not saying all those deserved to win when they competed, but just that they were/are good enough to.

Edited to add a question - I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on today.

If you're miserable when you go to skate, what part of skating do you find the most therapeutic?

who
11-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I find my misery usually goes away the second I step on the ice!! But if, by chance, it doesn't, I usually do a couple of fast stroking warm up laps to clear my head a vol la! I'm happy!! :) And so begins practice...

Hmmm, if your country didn't really support Winter Sports (as it is a summer country, swimming etc) - how would you convince the government/local businesses etc to give money??

(for example, to build better rinks, to encourage more skaters, to support the skaters we already have)...

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
I only wish I knew........

I think it's time we had a new thread, thinking of those folk with slow downloads (and even mine, which is fast, is playing sillybuggers today), so I'll pose my question in it.