View Full Version : Flying to competitions

Terri C
09-04-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm exploring the idea of competing next year at Adult Easterns in Syracuse, NY.
For me, this will involve a plane ride. Since I've always driven to competitions,how do you get your skates, dresses on a plane?

Stormy
09-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Skates I have to check. Do any airlines allow you to carry them on now? If so, I'd keep them with you, but if not, I've checked them many times and they've always been fine. My dresses I usually check as well, but sometimes if it's a very fancy dress I will take it in my carry on. I'm always a little nervous checking my skates, but I've never had a problem. And when I used to carry them on before Sept. 11th, I'd ALWAYS have to take them out of my luggage to show the guards they were just ice skates.

You should definitely compete at Sectionals. I went last year. It's a very nice rink and I had a great time!

SDFanatic
09-04-2003, 08:26 PM
You may want to doublecheck this, but I did read from somewhere else that you can take your skates as carryon luggage. Dresses of course just being clothing, so I don't think you'll have any problem with that. If your taking connecting flights, or arriving the day of competition, I would take everything you need that day as carryon, so no worries if something gets misplaced.

Don't forget backups of everything, like tights, laces, music, dress, pads, etc, just in case something happens during practice or such.

Steven

Sk8Bunny
09-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Depends on the airport. I have gotten my skates thru security check points at 2 airports(out of 3 i have been to the last year). Only one i had trouble with was Denver International Airport. Airline doesnt matter, its getting thru the airport security check point that counts. once u get thru that, most airlines never double check what you are carrying on. if u do have to check them, i suggest putting a layer of bubble wrap loosely around the soakers. this helps the blades from minor nicks and stuff. at least thats what my coach told me. good luck.
p.s. if u do bubble wrap, make sure when u get to your destination to take them off the soakers ASAP so the blades dont rust. as long as the soakers are on the blades, they shouldnt, but its better to be safe.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2003, 01:35 AM
If you're flying direct from A to B, there shouldn't be a problem checking your skates, or anything else for that matter. When we flew to New York a few days after 11 September 2001, we decided not even to think about carrying our skates. So we put soakers on each blade, and I kept mine in their bags (Robert doesn't have bags for his, just soakers), and we put them separately in the suitcase so the blades wouldn't clash together. And filled them up with undies and socks!

The problem can come if you have to change planes, since sometimes you do and your suitcase doesn't..... You can always try carrying them on, offering to check them as you get on the plane (like a child's pushchair, for instance) if necessary.

For those who don't want to take any sort of risks, I have heard of folk who have Fed-Exed their skates to their hotel, to await arrival. I wouldn't know how you set about doing that, but presumably it works.....

sonora
09-05-2003, 10:32 AM
We talk with security ahead of time. They have, so far, allowed us to gate check the skates each time. This means getting them through security with a special tag, and having them locked up by the flight attendant while the flight is in progress.

If we were not allowed to do this we would definitely FedEx them.

Black Sheep
09-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by sonora
We talk with security ahead of time. They have, so far, allowed us to gate check the skates each time. This means getting them through security with a special tag, and having them locked up by the flight attendant while the flight is in progress.

Sounds like a great plan! How do I get in touch with airport security ahead of time? 8-)

sonora
09-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Call the airline. I think there may be a different procedure for each airport. So far we have found Huntsville, O Hare, Minneapolis, St Louis, and Dallas to allow this procedure. Also Cleveland.